Monday, October 24, 2011

Back in the USA

Only three days to go until I face down the monster known as the PE Exam. I am back in the US, sitting in my parent’s house trying to remember how exactly I got from our little island to the great state of South Dakota.  I know it all started with another epic game of packing Tetris.


Eventually everything it in the bags, but then they were too heavy.  I guess 15 text books/notebooks will do that.  I ended up  having to carrying a lot of the books.  Yuck!

I think my actual travel started on Friday night.  Yes, that sounds right, Friday night I got on the rotator in Lajes and flew 6 hours to Norfolk, VA.  After an hour in customs (I was THE last person to get processed), I grabbed my bags (easy to find because everyone else’s were green), and found a cab.  I arrived at my hotel in Newport News, VA at midnight local time – that’s 4 am Lajes time.  I was exhausted, but still managed to be wide awake about 3 hours later.  Darn jet lag.  A couple flights later, I finally arrived in Sioux Falls, SD!  Mom, Dad and Matthew were at the airport.  I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see them. 

I’ve been trying to fight the jet lag for the last couple of days – forcing myself to stay up late and doing my best to roll over and go back to sleep when I wake up at 3 am.  I think I’m getting there.  I spent the weekend opening packages I’d had sent here in anticipation of my arrival and visiting with my family.


I also decided that a laptop purchase was in order.  Our old laptop will probably not make it back from the dessert, and I needed some way to keep connected while I was here.  It sounded like a win-win to me!


Today, I tackled another practice test.  I think I’m ready, but I’ll do one more just because I’m an over-preparer like that.  For now, though, I think it’s time for a walk.  I haven’t been in the trees in a long time.  If I’m really motivated, I’ll take my camera and try to capture the last few fall leaves. 

1 comment:

  1. I think the only thing I can say is ... good luck! I don't envy you the PE, but I'm guessing you'll be just fine.

    ReplyDelete