Monday, June 10, 2013

In The Garden - Week 17

Gardening in a new place always comes with new challenges.  Challenges like planting in February.  Challenges like squash bugs.


Much to my dismay, all of my squash (zucchini, acorn, and butternut) are being eaten with these little worms.  They don't hurt the fruit, so I may be able to get a few more zucchini before the plant dies.  In all my research, there's not much to be done about them that doesn't involve nasty chemicals.  Mental note for next year; no squash.

That just means more room for melons.  The melons I put a trellis up for two weeks ago needed an extension in the form of rope tied to the fence.  They are still growing.  Not sure what's I'm going to do about them after they reach the fence.


The cucamelon are hanging out under the peach mango melon.  The cucamlon have actually set fruit.  Check out these tiny little guys.


I'm really excited to see how they taste when they are ready to pick!  The rest of the garden continues to grow.  The tomatoes have hit their stride, and I get a regular tomato and several cherry tomatoes every day.  If I go a few days between picking, I get something like this.


And finally, the baby birds on our patio have flown the nest.  Mom and Dad bird are busy building another nest in the other hanging plant on our patio.  I guess they don't believe in recycling.

If you want to see what the garden looked like two weeks ago, read In The Garden - Week 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment