Friday, January 18, 2013

Back in Action

As you may have noticed, I’ve been MIA since I started working two weeks ago.  Turns out, by the time I put in 10 hours at work, spend an hour at the gym, drive home, and make supper, it’s pretty much time for bed!  While I love being back at work, I really miss having all day to do whatever I want to do… like post about random things on the blog.  However, I get off at noon on Fridays, so I had some time today to catch you all up with what’s been going on in our lives lately.  There have been a few updates to the house:

Laundry room:  We re-arranged the existing wire shelves so that no one was in danger of losing a eye walking through the room.  We also added a board over the top of the washer and dryer to give us a place to put laundry baskets and a place to fold clothes (in theory).


Entry way:  We got this idea here.  There are dimensions and good instructions that make this project pretty easy to follow.  In the process of removing the floor trim, we discovered our washer connection was slowly leaking and making the drywall damp.  Glad we found that problem before anything got moldy!!  I still need to do some decorating on the self and find a new rug, but the heavy lifting is done, and we love the way it turned out.



We also installed a two new outlets in the garage.  I now know lots more about how electrical wiring works.  And, after an successful escape by our littlest munchkin, we repaired a couple boards in our fence gate.


We've been hard at work on our yard.  The local water company offered a rebate on mulch this fall, so we were able to pick up 27 bags for about $6!  The north side of our house gets exactly zero hours of sunlight a day, so we decided to put the four blades of grass out of their misery and make a planter bed along the whole side of the house.  We had to find shade-loving plants that could survive what is sure to be a brutally hot Texas summer.  Hopefully, once it warms up a bit, the ornamental grass will recover from it's transplant shock and perk up a bit!


I think that’s about all for now.  We've got a couple other projects in the works, but I can honestly say, the work on the house is winding down.  Our bank account is certainly thankful to be taking a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment