I have spent nearly every year of my life celebrating the 4th of July in the quiet little town of Lennox, South Dakota. We didn’t always come back to South Dakota for Christmas or Thanksgiving, but, no matter where we were living, we always came back for the 4th of July. My mom, my brother and I grew up (or at least finished growing up) here; most of my extended family lives nearby; and every face in the parade and at the park afterwards is familiar. It’s kind of like Cheers – everyone knows your name and your entire life story. However, since I got married, and Chris and I joined this crazy Air Force life, I haven’t been back to Lennox for the 4th. I’ve been in Montgomery, Alabama; Wichita, Kansas; and now Lajes Field.
I miss the routine: parade in the morning, waving to my uncle Wayne on the fire truck, dodging (or throwing) water balloons with my aunt Amy, eating way too much food at the church taco stand with my parents, walking through the car show with my friends, enjoying the municipal band concert at the park’s band shell, and ending the day at the old football field to watch the fireworks display. It doesn’t get much more idyllic than that.
I have learned, though, that there is nothing quite like the 4th of July on a military base. For military members and their families, the 4th of July is a chance to celebrate the country they have sworn to protect and defend. The red, white, and blue are just a little brighter next to the green, tan, and black of everyday military life. So, the base gathers together, a family formed out of circumstance, and throws a huge party!
When we arrived at Maxwell AFB on July 4th, 2007, we met up with the group of people what would become one such family for the next six weeks and beyond. We didn’t know each other, but under the brilliant colors of the fireworks, listening to the sounds of the Maxwell AFB band, it didn’t matter. We were all far from home, starting out on a new journey that would take members of our group, literally, to the ends of the earth.
This year, I again found myself amongst another makeshift family, sitting, feet nearly dangling off the edge of the world, waiting for the fireworks. A few of us started the evening working that Lajes Spouses Club booth selling popsicles and light-up toys, while the husbands staked our claim on the perfect fireworks viewing location. Later in the evening, we enjoyed a picnic supper of sandwiches on local rolls, cuscus and bean salad, bruschetta, beer, and wine. We finished off dinner with delicious carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. For a few hours we
Finally, the sun set, and it was time to start the fireworks show. With a quick speech from the Chief to remind us exactly why we were celebrating and an announcement from the Commander that the air space was clear, the show began. 25 minutes of fireworks, set to music, and launched over the ocean. It was spectacular! The show ended to the sounds of the crowd singing along proudly to the Air Force Song (the version on the video was performed by the US Air Force Band).
No comments:
Post a Comment