My brother and sister-in-law welcomed their first child into the world earlier this week. Archer is the first grandchild for my parents, so his arrival is a pretty big deal. I decided that a handmade baby quilt was the perfect way to welcome Archer to the family. I started looking for patterns online and came across a pattern I loved by Amy Butler. She has loads of free patterns on her website. Go check it out if you’re looking to make a quilt. The pattern was for a queen size bed, so AutoCAD and I had a little fun re-sizing the quilt to baby-size.
My next challenge was ordering fabric online. Thankfully, my mom did a little reconnaissance for me and found out where my sister-in-law had purchased her fabric for the nursery curtains. The lovely Stitch Stash Diva helped me pick out the perfect fabrics for the quilt, then sent them my way!
Fabrics and a new rotary cutter blade in hand, I started cutting…
…and cutting some more.
Then, I sewed…
… and sewed…
Now, I had to cut them into perfect squares.
Done!
Next step – arranging the squares for the front of the quilt.
And more sewing…
and some more sewing (I used almost two spools of thread before all was said and done!).
Once the front was finished, I added the batting and the back and got to quilting.
The rest of the quilt had gone pretty smoothly, but I am NOT good at quilting. Ugh.
I had to take a break for a few days after I got the quilting done. One, because my fingers were tired from all the pinning and sewing. Two, because Archer hadn’t made his debut, and, therefore, I didn’t know his name yet! As soon as he was born, I stitched a welcome message into the back of the quilt.
Then, I trimmed everything to fit. There was a small casualty from the rotary blade – those things are razor sharp! Yes Mom, I know it’s an actual razor.
Finally, I finished the edges of the quilt using the super-awesome-mother-approved method of rolling the edges. Professional quilters… just ignore this part.
The finished quilts looks pretty good if I do say so myself.
I folded everything up and tied it with a cute bow.
Now, I just have to wait patiently while I makes it’s way across the ocean and half a country. I’m counting on my brother and his wife being too tired to check the blog before their package arrives. Sorry if I spoiled the surprise guys. I was excited to show everyone what I’ve been working on for the last two weeks!
Amanda, that is awesome!!
ReplyDeleteYou are sooo talented! Beautiful!! Congratulations, Aunt Amanda! Big hugs for you, Chris, and the rest fam. Especially the newest member. :)
ReplyDeleteLauren
You are such a goofball. The quilt is lovely.
ReplyDeleteAmy
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you. The quilt is amazing. I can hardly wait to see it. It sounds like you have a very wise mother!
Love you. Mom
I have the very best mother anywhere.
DeleteI meant to respond on this blog awhile ago...apologies on the delay. Congrats on the new found role as an Aunt! Very exciting. I cannot wait to meet Archer! I love the quilt. It is SO beautiful. I haven't put my sewing machine to good use like you; however, I'm certainly hoping to have more time to do that in the coming years!
ReplyDeleteHope to see you soon!
Amy and Sam